Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Nightly Ritual

Well, I have been injecting Suprefact for 9 days now and so far, so good. I have yet to give myself a shot - my DH has been giving them to me. Every night at 9:20 his cell phone alarm chimes and that tells us to get out our drug injecting supplies ~ a needle, alcohol swabs, the Suprefact, and an ice pack. We gather in the living room and we begin the nightly ritual.

I pinch some fat and place the ice pack on the spot he will poke for about 30 seconds (just enough to numb the spot). While I'm doing this, he is preparing the needle with the drug. He wipes my skin with the alcohol swab and looks at me and says, "Are you ready?". After a deep breath, I answer, "Yep".

He jabs the needle in as I watch. He slowly releases the drug under my skin. I'll sometimes have to tell him to go a little faster. Sometimes I'll give a little "ahh". Sometimes I will not feel a thing. Once we see that all of the drug has left the needle, I start counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, (they say to leave the needle in for 5 seconds after we have injected all the drug). The needle comes out. My DH says, "Good girl," and kisses me on the forehead. For a couple of minutes afterwards, it stings and itches a little bit.

My DH has done a great job in keeping me calm and composed during this ritual. He is the reason why I think I'm handling the needles so well (have I mentioned before how much I hated needles up until now ~ so much so that I would pass out every time I got one). I wouldn't want to be doing this with anyone else but him.

As far as side effects of the drug ~ I have only experienced a few headaches. I have been trying to drink lots of water and it helps. I have had 1 or 2 hot flashes (now I know how my mom feels!). I don't think the drug has been effecting my mood (although, perhaps I should ask my husband and students ~ they may think otherwise!). Maybe after being on the drug for a few more days, I may want to edit this paragraph! I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

I think it's good for the hubbie's to do the needle part, it keeps them invovled.
I am glad it is going well so far, despite the hotflashes :(

 
At 7:55 PM, October 18, 2012, Blogger Mrs.LaFond said...

I am reading this almost 7 years after you wrote it and it's as if I'm reading about myself down the every little detail (I'm also a teacher with a needle phobia who used to pass out and has her DH do the injections after I take my ice pack off. Seriously, every detail). I hope your journey with ivf ended soon after this post and that your 'baby' is now school age! Thanks for writing and sharing this. It comforts me somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home