Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ready for Round 3

Yesterday we started FET cycle #3. We are on the same protocol as the previous 2 cycles (2 Estrace tablets twice a day, blood work and ultrasound on day 10, then hopefully transfer 5 days later). I'm getting to be an old pro at this!

I've starting contacting adoption agencies. They have all suggested we start the process off with a home study. One of the social workers called me tonight and we spoke for quite awhile. I got some of my questions answered. Apparently, the home study takes roughly 3 months to complete and she will visit our home every 2 weeks or so. It is a very comprehensive home study that includes things like medicals, financial statements, references, and our family backgrounds, how we were raised, how we met, how we communicate, and our thoughts on raising children. She basically told me that our life will pretty much be an open book. The cost of this home study ... $2,000! Then she said that you will likely have to spend $8,000 to $16,000 once a birth parent decides to choose us as the adoptive family for their child. This is going to be as expensive as IVF!

So, Paul and I have a lot of decisions to make. Two years ago, I would have never of guessed that we would be having these conversations today. We thought we'd be having conversations about daycares, babysitters, and when to start trying for baby #2. My, how wrong we were!

6 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Bea said...

These are difficult crossroads. I feel like we have been walking together, and I don't want to see you go.

(A recap of me so you can see:
Feb 06 IVF #1 ET cancelled OHSS.
May 06 FET#1 briefly positive, beta #2 negative.
June 06 FET#2 got my results earlier this week - negative.
We've transferred 3 embryos, looks like you've transferred 4?
You've got 11 left, we've got 13.)

We're totally copying each other.

And to see you branching off after these last few months makes me a little sad. But I wish you luck - with FET#3 or whatever else happens.

Bea

 
At 8:23 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger ChicagoGirl said...

Good luck with the new cycle and with starting a dialog about adoption. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you won't even need to use the adoption agency! :)

 
At 8:44 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Yay on starting round 3. I really hope this goes well for you.

It's crazy how much the home studies cost. They shouldn't be that much, I think!

I can relate to you on thinking that you would be having conversations about having #2 etc by now. Me too.

 
At 10:20 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Vee said...

Yep I thought we would have been thinking about #2 by now too.
I really hope your next round is your 3rd time lucky !

To have a plan B is always a good idea.

All the best
Vee

 
At 7:38 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

I realy hope that this next FET is the ONE so you can get on with talking about a second.

 
At 6:16 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger chloe said...

Just found your blog today and after reading your history and what you're going through wanted to comment.

My Hubs also had (has) a varicocele. Although they tell us it doesn't effect his sperm, it definately effects our lives when he isn't feeling well.

We are currently waiting for a referral from China. We decided that adoption was our path even before trying any medical treatment.

With that said, TODAY we decided that we are also going to try IVF (as we wait for our referral).

So here is my point, yes, the adoption process is as expensive as IVF but you will be guaranteed a child in your arms at the end. And just because you decide to adopt, does NOT mean you have to stop your treatments.

You can do BOTH (although I know financially draining). My hope is the IVF works and we get our referral then I'll never have to think about getting pregnant again!

Good luck with this transfer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home